January 11, 2007
A convenient untruth
And you thought the Pacific Northwest—Discovery Institute notwithstanding—was full of liberal tree-huggers:
This week in Federal Way schools, it got a lot more inconvenient to show one of the top-grossing documentaries in U.S. history, the global-warming alert “An Inconvenient Truth.”
After a parent who supports the teaching of creationism and opposes sex education complained about the film, the Federal Way School Board on Tuesday placed what it labeled a moratorium on showing the film. The movie consists largely of a PowerPoint presentation by former Vice President Al Gore recounting scientists’ findings.
“Condoms don’t belong in school, and neither does Al Gore. He’s not a schoolteacher,” said Frosty Hardison, a parent of seven who also said that he believes the Earth is 14,000 years old. “The information that’s being presented is a very cockeyed view of what the truth is. ... The Bible says that in the end times everything will burn up, but that perspective isn’t in the DVD.”
Hmm, I wonder why? Could it be that such a perspective is completely insane?
Hardison’s e-mail to the School Board prompted board member David Larson to propose the moratorium Tuesday night.
“Somebody could say you’re killing free speech, and my retort to them would be we’re encouraging free speech,” said Larson, a lawyer. “The beauty of our society is we allow debate.”
Which is the kind of thinking that gets lawyers a bad name.
School Board members adopted a three-point policy that says teachers who want to show the movie must ensure that a “credible, legitimate opposing view will be presented,” that they must get the OK of the principal and the superintendent, and that any teachers who have shown the film must now present an “opposing view.”
The requirement to represent another side follows district policy to represent both sides of a controversial issue, board President Ed Barney said.
“What is purported in this movie is, ‘This is what is happening. Period. That is fact,’” Barney said.
Students should hear the perspective of global-warming skeptics and then make up their minds, he said. After they do, “if they think driving around in cars is going to kill us all, that’s fine, that’s their choice.”
Asked whether an alternative explanation for evolution should be presented by teachers, Barney said it would be appropriate to tell students that other beliefs exist. “It’s only a theory,” he said.
That’s “only” as in “Ed Barney is only going to keep his job for a short time.”
Meanwhile, Frosty and his
chattel wife Gayla are still refusing to take their meds:
“From what I’ve seen (of the movie) and what my husband has expressed to me, if (the movie) is going to take the approach of ‘bad America, bad America,’ I don’t think it should be shown at all,” Gayla Hardison said. “If you’re going to come in and just say America is creating the rotten ruin of the world, I don’t think the video should be shown.”
Time to get the brood into homeskool.
UPDATE 01/12/07: Frosty the No Man has posted a response to the Seattle Post Intelligencer article. It speaks for itself, below the fold.
Here’s the gist of my “opinion” which of course is not represented in the Seattle P.I. paper:
1) Global warming didn’t just begin 50 years ago. The earth started WARMING BACK UP and the glaciers began to recede when? How long ago ? And just how many cars were Americans driving back then to start the glaciers receding? Let your readers decide that for themselves.
Let’s debate the issues NOT raised in Al Gore’s video.
What are the positive affects of global warming?
How long ago did global warming begin?
When does that date clock start?
Does it start when scientists become aware of it?
Does it start when the glaciers began to reced?
Does it start when the earth is made from nothing in a vastness of space where the mean temperature is like -454 F; -270 degrees C or 2.5 Kelvin?
Does it start when the sun began to shine?
Then what do we base THAT time line upon? The Bible says the earth is about 12,000 years old? 14,000 at most? Or do you want to believe scientists who claim the earth is billions of years old, but can’t produce any thing to prove it. I mean global warming can really go back a long time ago can’t it?
Okay so let’s argue for global warming and the POSITIVE AFFECTS. As the waters rise, what do you think will happen to the earths water temperatures? They’ll cool down the deeper they get and after the huge deposits of frozen methane are released. Water tables will rise, more heat generates more clouds, more clouds reflect and block harmful sunlight and produce more rain for crops, with the rising water tables many desserts will have the potential of being reclaimed and turned into productive fields etc…
Winds happen as a result of high and low pressure areas. Low pressure areas are cold, high pressure areas are generally warmer than the surrounding air. If the whole earth is a warm climate with no ice to slow down the oceanic currents the free flow of heat exchange works out for the better just like a nice evenly heated pool. There are no models to predict what will happen when the Gulf stream is allowed to flow over the north pole for efficient global cooling. None of this is presented in Al Gore’s PowerPoint slant on global warming.
2) As I understand it, global warming has one main cause affect scenario - that the CO2 and greenhouse gasses have risen and because of that, the ice is melting and because of that the ice no longer reflects the sun light and heat away… which subsequently warms the waters and drives the winds harder and faster blah blah blah
Who are we to say that global warming is a bad thing? My opinion is change is and always has been one of mankind’s greatest fears. Before the flood aka Noah’s Ark, the whole earth was a warm tropical climate, the earth is only now returning to that.
What we may lose in flooding now, we will easily gain in productive unspoiled lands in the northern territories of Russia, Canada, Mongolia, Greenland, Alaska and Antarctica.
3) Al Gore, After 26 years of representing Tennessee as a Rep. and Senator and then 8 years as a VP did exactly what to bring awareness to and make a change in global warming? When AL Gore was able to bring the weight and power of the Whitehouse into play, what did he do about global warming?
Al Gore’s video has no place in my kids public school class room any more than condoms. Furthermore, although Al Gore is quite funny and humorous in his jovial banter about no longer being Vice President, every single time I have seen him present his video/PowerPoint presentation, it is nothing more than an opportunity for him to grandstand and take more pot shots at the Republicans for repeating his own error – of not doing enough.
Perhaps a better environment for his film would be a poly-sci class in college where students pay for their choice of education and they get what they pay for?
But not in a public elementary, Jr. High or High School classroom where thanks to the Becka Bill, the attendance is mandatory under the age of 16, and where no other choices or perspectives are being offered to counter all of the liberally biased agenda being presented. It’s no wonder kids are shooting each other what with them living in the US and with all this blame being heaped upon them in the classrooms for being an American.
4) It’s people like Al Gore, in both the Democratic and Republican parties and any other person on earth (no matter their political affiliation) that continue supporting the liberal biased politicians and judges legislating from the bench - that endorse gay marriage, kick Jesus Christ out of public schools and say Happy Holidays rather than Merry Christmas - that are speeding the curse and effect along. (did you see the play on words there? Cause and effect – curse and effect?)
The thing people should really be on the watch for instead of global warming, is a red celestial body (comet or asteroid) that will appear as a cross in the sky. That event will happen long before global warming makes a serious and noticeable impact into the lives of people on earth. People en mass do not want to hear of such things though, as they do not wish to be held accountable for the things they do here.
5) Just as I have heard in the arguments for global warming “Ignoring the problem won’t make it go away” My position is that many people do not believe in the prophecies of the Holy Bible either, but once again Ignoring His Truth won’t make it go away . Just because your science can’t touch, feel, measure or produce evidence in God or you do not believe in God and the miracle that is His Son Jesus Christ, doesn’t make them or the History documented in the Bible any less real. The Bible has said for 3500 years that the end days would see global warming because the earth is under a curse because of mankind turning away from the one true God. Like it or not, It’s going to happen and like it or not the people CAN NOT change it. I say that they cannot change it for two reasons, first If it gets changed, it will be by God’s will and that will only happen if the whole planet got baptized in the Holy Spirit and accepted Jesus Christ as their savior within the next 2 years. Second being a man of God I always try to present solutions and not just complain about things. So I present this potential solution: One way this WORLD could make a dent in what has already transpired, would be to build several huge nuclear power plants in the polar regions and install several freezer coils at the edges of the polar glaciers to begin expanding the size of the ice and begin making more ice. What are the odds of that happening? There is your “INCONVENIENT TRUTH”.
In summary, Al Gore is not about finding solutions to the problem. Al Gore is all about getting his party re-elected. Otherwise he would have made a stand on our nation’s dependency on oil from OPEC nations with religious factions hell bent to murder as many Americans as they can. Al Gore would have presented ideas on how we could rely on the small inventors that have already built solutions to America’s greatest problems, but whose ideas have been crushed by government regulation, bureaucracy, and large corporations that sit on their brilliant ideas either through buying the patents or through prosecution in court. Ideas that would solve not only America’s problems but also the world’s problems…
The REAL reason the world has global warming, besides turning away from God? Huge electric companies, Oil Companies, auto manufactures and well funded lobbyists paying for THEIR representation over that of the American people’s better interests – all for greater profits and more money for their stock holders. Am I wrong? Let your readers decide.
If we are going to pursue technologies that better our environment, Let’s do so to better ALL of mankind not just a select few CEOs and members of some board of directors that are politically connected to PACs. OPEC and oil companies, car manufacturers and socialist governments. Side note, let’s also keep the U.N. out of our decision making processes.
I remember a time when futurists and scientists predicted we would all be driving cars powered on nuclear fuel cell electricity that would never need gas, never pollute and the fuel cells were inter-changeable with the next car you buy. Let’s solve our problems and get on with life with an intelligent perspective not one based on political affiliation or how much money we will make by controlling the ideas we are blessed with.
Frosty E Hardison
TrackBack URL for this entry: